As one who teaches English, I try to avoid speaking in Malay with students. I would say that 99.9% of the time, English is used in any lesson or conversation. It should be 100%, really. On VERY rare occasions I use Malay, purposefully, to get a point across, and this in turn leads to peals of laughter from students. Somehow that makes me feel embarassed. Like I've done something wrong. Or funny. Not. But hey, I can speak in Malay of course, and they must surely know that that's the lingo used when not in teaching mode... Anyway, as English has been such a big part in my life.. (I was already speaking fluent English since I was 4 and with a hint of British accent too!) and has been the reason why I went into teaching, I sometimes feel guilty of not enriching my Bahasa as well. I have not read a Malay novel since Form 5, I think! I read English newspapers. Listen to English speaking radio channels. Watch English movies. Buy English novels. Even cook western food more than Malaysi...
Comments