Skip to main content

life

Am very well aware that I am getting older. Not cuz my birthday..ahem, is looming in a few weeks time. There have been signs, I think. One of it could be cuz I tend to wanna hear Lite fm these days instead of Hitz. `Loud' music makes me stressed on some days. Or the fact that I'm not losing weight as easy as I did 2 years ago.. ? (despite the regular treadmill sessions..) Yet I often stand my ground and declare that I am still in my "youthful years".

I shouldn't really be in denial. Growing old is inevitable and so is death. Our journey to death actually begins the minute we were born. The day of our death was written on the day we were born. We just don't know when it is. But we can surely prepare for a good afterlife starting from now.

Two things I thought about today made me think of life and death even more:

1) I recently registered my name for Hajj. I don't know why I never did it earlier. If I live long enough I'll go in 2040! Where I'll be over 60.. about the age my parents went. If God grants me good health and a longer life, I may live to go in that assigned year. Or if I acquire wealth and prosperity.. i might just go earlier.. I hope it is the latter.

2) My sister who's a year older than me is about to deliver her 4th child as we speak, and I'm still stuck with 6 cats and age and who knows maybe death, creeping up on me.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm complaining. I happen to love my life now and am thankful to God for everything I have. It's just that when you look into the future you set in your mind, you do have to stop for a while and wonder if you'll ever get there and what are you gonna do about getting it...

Growing up is never easy.. Even when you're already `grown up'!

Comments

FaizRodzi said…
2040?? wow...my parents x register lg rasanya.
Shereen said…
yeah.. i know... go register now! :)

Popular posts from this blog

what colour are you?

Am once again surrounded by the chaos and craziness of my working world. And I haven't even started teaching yet! One thing I often get to do when I'm at work is shop! There's always something for everybody whenever someone starts selling. In my defense, it saves me time from having to go to a shop myself.. and if i can get quality goods at affordable prices (pay 2,3 times.. haha), why not? Today it was batik. And being around colleagues who watch what we wear day in and day out.. everyone seems to know what colour would suit which person. I was no exception.. Once again, I didn't surprise anyone and chose material with the same colour I always choose. Which got strong reactions from my dear observant friends. So, I decided to try listening to everybody's protests and tried hard to find something that wasn't me . I wanted to embrace the challenge of wearing something different. Getting out of my comfort zone. But then I wondered, why would I want to be not me ...

I can speak Malay

As one who teaches English, I try to avoid speaking in Malay with students. I would say that 99.9% of the time, English is used in any lesson or conversation. It should be 100%, really. On VERY rare occasions I use Malay, purposefully, to get a point across, and this in turn leads to peals of laughter from students. Somehow that makes me feel embarassed. Like I've done something wrong. Or funny. Not. But hey, I can speak in Malay of course, and they must surely know that that's the lingo used when not in teaching mode... Anyway, as English has been such a big part in my life.. (I was already speaking fluent English since I was 4 and with a hint of British accent too!) and has been the reason why I went into teaching, I sometimes feel guilty of not enriching my Bahasa as well. I have not read a Malay novel since Form 5, I think! I read English newspapers. Listen to English speaking radio channels. Watch English movies. Buy English novels. Even cook western food more than Malaysi...

100th

As I write this entry it is with realisation that it is my 100th. Nothing to be proud of really but kinda making it a big deal cuz the number sounds grand :) So.. upon returning from the land so fondly called `Down Under', I was thinking of writing 100 things about my trip..erm.. would anyone be interested to read it? Let's try.. The FLIGHT 1. I love MAS. 2.Truly laden with MH= malaysian hospitality 3. it fed us with ice-cream on both journeys to and fro.. 4. with superb in-flight entertainment :D 5. read my book only on the way to Aussie but not on the way back.. too distracted by the entertainment on board.. ;) The WORKSHOP 6. The IB workshop drained me but I learnt a lot 7. made new friends! from Australia, Jakarta, India, etc.. 8. got material to use in class 9. it was a fully digital experience as we had to refer to stuff from a website - so EVERYONE was with a laptop.. kinda reminded me of a class with students who use the laptop while I'm teaching.. haha.. 10. thi...